Coming in from the frigid morning I found my frame soaking in a nice hot frame bath to remove the remaining flux. It was pretty exciting to finally see it without flux, and it also allowed me to check all of the brazing areas and see if anything needed to be fixed. There were a few small areas near the lugs where there wasn't enough silver, so once it was dry I patched that up and moved on to cleaning up the seat tube fillet so that I could start on the stays.
|After walking in the 30 degree weather, I was a bit jealous of my frame.|
|Cleaned up fillet and a seat clamp! Now we're getting down the business.|
|The filed down fork, ready for blades!|
|Right before shaping the fork blades. Squeezing the tubes was a very precise and kind of scary process. Also, my coffee had lots of metal filings in it by this point.|
|My fork ends! Filing inside of the cutouts was a bit difficult.|
We got back to class and all went back to our respective tasks. My frame was back in the hot tub to clean off the new flux that I applied when I brazed the clamp and fixed the lug, so in the meantime more work was done on the fork. Using a special jig to make sure the blades and fork ends were aligned, Mr. Yamaguchi demonstrated how to braze on the fork ends, which I did. By the time I was done, my frame had finished it's soaking and was dry. He grabbed an automated wire brush, and I was shown how to buff the lugged areas, making them nice and shiny. I finished buffing (which was a lot of fun, I might add) and was then ready to move onto the stays.
|Hanging out after some wire brushing!|
|Close up of the seat stays, all shined up.|
|The special jig for mitering both tubes at the same time. Made, of course, by Mr. Yamaguchi himself.|
I'll be doing the seat stays tomorrow, so I'll be spending the rest of tonight looking at different designs and seeing which ones I like best, and also what will be best for the road bike, both structurally and aesthetically. I've got some homework to do!