20130725

Something About Pandas

If you've been coming here for a while, you've probably noticed the total lack of photos taken on/from/during the whole riding a bike process.  Up until recently, my only real camera options were either the varying degrees of cell phone cameras that I've had over the years or my trusty DSLR.  Cell phones are nice and all, but require multiple fingers to launch a camera app and to take the final photo, and while I love my DSLR attempting to pull that out of my bag, manually focus the lens, and take a photo while using both hands would most certainly end up with me on the side of the road tangled up in my bicycle with bits of broken lens mixed into my injuries.

A few weeks ago when I logged into my bank account to pay bills like a normal person, I noticed that after years of buying things like food my super special credit card points had amassed into an amount that could be traded for a little digital camera.  A Nikon Coolpix L28, to be precise.  Combined with a nifty little add-on from Chrome, I finally would have the ability to quickly take photos here and there while I ride, without having to get off the bike. 

I wanted to start slow to make sure I didn't kill myself (or anyone else) while trying this, so during a pretty empty stretch on my commute I tested the waters.

The cockpit!
Fortunately, I didn't die, and even better - neither did the camera, which seems to do a pretty good job of capturing quick shots here and there.  

Panda shots are shots that the rider takes of themselves while riding.  Since I hadn't died yet my odds were pretty good, and I decided to give that a try too.

I tried to smile, but I don't think it worked.
I definitely won't be pulling out the camera on every ride, but it is nice to have it there when I want to snap something quickly - especially in the case of an accident.  I can pull it out and take a photo in just a few seconds, though I'll work on actually getting more than just my helmet in the photo next time.  

Really wish I had this setup when I passed the legendary unicycle guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your bike related thoughts!

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise