|Someday I'll have a real shop!|
While setting up the torches I had that same uneasy feeling again - what if I have no idea what I'm doing? What if I fail? What if I blow myself up? Thankfully it was fleeting, and after everything was cleaned and fluxed I lit the torch and the uneasiness melted away. I was in my element.
The tube sang as I did my first round of internal brazing, pulling the metal inside to ensure a strong joint. Changing the torch tip had made a world of difference, and there were only a few small areas that I needed to clean up before doing external brazing. While the seat tube cooled, I prepped the top tube for mitering. Squeezing into my tiny space between the drill press and the work bench, I set the vise to the proper angle - 77 degrees for this particular miter - and traced the template onto the tube.
|Printing templates - my top tube and post-in cheat sheet. Disregard the math, it's incorrect and I'm only using this for the tube diameters and wall widths!|
|Shiny happy flux!|
Though it seemed like I had done so little, a few hours had already passed. I made sure the oxygen and acetylene were shut off, I cleaned the torch tip and files and checked that everything was put back in its proper place, and I closed up for the day.
It's not much, and I've got a long way to go and a lot to learn. But it feels so good to be building again.
Everyone's gotta start somewhere.